Sunday, June 24

My {Rosemary} Fix

My mom can't stand it.
But I made it anyways!
With my two best friends.

Rosemary is a pretty cool herb. And it has all this history with Greek Gods and people from the Bible....allegedly. Rosemary originates from the Latin words ros marinus, or dew of the sea. Back in the day, Aphrodite was wearing it around her neck when she rose from the sea-- if you ask me, that is the last thing I'd want around my neck after being born, because rosemary is rather sharp and I feel like it would make me extremely itchy -- And the Virgin Mary is said to have spread her blue cloak over a rosemary bush, which turned the flowers blue and became known as the 'Rose of Mary.'

So, there is your history lesson for the day. Before I start with my recipe let me just say that a lot of people don't like rosemary. It has a very woody and fragrant taste that could make or break your meal, depending on if you like the flavor or not. But if you've never tried it I suggest giving this recipe a chance. It's quick, easy and a great way to add fresh herbs into your cooking.

Rosemary Pesto Pasta with Chicken Tenderloins
Serves 4

1-2 lbs chicken tenderloins
1 package whole wheat pasta

For pesto:
1 cup fresh rosemary
1-2 cloves garlic
1/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 cup walnuts
fresh ground pepper
extra virgin olive oil

So last night, my friends Hannah and Jess came over for a night of experimental cooking. Might I add that they are pretty much polar opposites when it comes to food preferences. Jess doesn't necessarily like foods that are dubbed "healthy" while Hannah's go-to meal is a kale salad from Whole Foods. Cooking for the three of us is a bit of a challenge sometimes. But this recipe was a big hit for the both of them and I would recommend it if you have guests coming over who fall everywhere within the spectrum. It fuses healthy and delicious, perfect for all kids, picky eaters and people who just don't like vegetables!

Jess wanted Italian, so I came up with the nifty idea to make our own pesto pasta -- with a twist. Now pesto is normally made with basil, but it can be made with many other fresh herbs. Tonight we thought we would give rosemary a try!

In a blender or food processor, blend all of the pesto ingredients until they create a sauce with texture. Cook your pasta and drain the water -- But do not rinse the pasta! This is my tip for you, because the natural starch on the pasta with help the pesto stick to the noodles easier and taste even better.

As for the chicken, you can choose to cook or marinate in any way you desire. But we found that a simple flour, Parmesan and garlic salt mixture in a Zip-lock bag did the trick.

Make sure there is enough pesto to coat the pasta and pack some serious flavor! We also made a smoked paprika and tomato-based sauce to top the chicken. 

A night with friends is only complete with lots of laughter and carbohydrates.



1 comment: