Sunday, July 8

My {Burger} Fix


If a burger is
from a cow, then why is it
called a HAMburger?

A riveting question indeed. But here's your answer. The coveted term "hamburger" comes from none other than Hamburg, Germany. And we should thank the German immigrants who introduced this great creation to America...before it became the face of obesity.
Yes, hamburgers get a bad wrap today because many are processed with unnatural ingredients and fillers -- just Google pink slime. But that doesn't mean they are all bad. 


I joined my family this weekend for a little vacation to our cabin in Flagstaff. Keep in mind it's not really a cabin, it's actually a house in a residential neighborhood where our backyard is a golf course. We just call it that for some odd reason. But while we were there, we decided to try Diablo Burger for the first time.

Now, I have heard tons of great things about this place from friends at NAU and Flagstaff locals, so it's a wonder why I've never been before. It is located in the center of town so it's easy to find if you ask. And man, they sure know how to make a burger!

Diablo Burger serves 100% local and 95% lean, open range-raised beef, where you can really taste the quality. Each burger comes on an English Muffin, branded with their signature 'db.'

There were a lot of crazy combinations to choose from--like the Vitamin B Burger topped with bacon, beets and blue cheese, and the DB House Burger, comfortably situated underneath their homemade pesto and a fried egg!

The Monk Burger at Diablo Burger.

But I went for simplicity and ordered the Monk Burger -- lettuce, tomato, pickle and spicy honey mustard. The burger itself is so juicy and delicious. And the English Muffin is such a unique idea that works so well to hold the burger together without overpowering the taste. I always hate it when there is too much of a bread-to-meat ratio and you can't enjoy your burger because it keeps falling apart. The miracle solution has arrived! I am totally going to try making my burgers on English Muffins at home.

The Blake Burger at Diablo Burger.

My mom was more daring and ordered The Blake Burger, complete with homemade chile mayo, roasted green chiles and sharp cheddar. I had a bite and I approve. Did I mention that all their burgers also come with Belgian-style fries, tossed with rosemary?

I can happily say that I finished off my entire burger, and left with a smile on my face. One negative about this place is that they don't take credit cards. Remember this or else you will be very grumpy!

Their reason? Because banks don't serve cheeseburgers. 

They do try to promote the local community as much as they can and I can say I have respect for that {Although that would be really awesome if banks started serving cheeseburgers}.

And for all of the vegetarians out there, they have veggie burgers and salads as well. I highly recommend this restaurant if you ever find yourself in Flagstaff. Seating is definitely limited, but they encourage you to share your table with another group so there is not a huge wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment